Saturday, October 25, 2008

Finally did it! Magazine File Tutorial...

I finally sat down and recreated my template that I came up with when I made these and did a tutorial to go along with it. This is the very first tutorial that I have created so I hope that it is easy to follow and all makes sense!

Finished examples are at the end of this tutorial or can be viewed in this post or this post.

Here is my template...



I used a 12x12 sheet of cardstock and cut it down to an 8x12 sheet of cardstock. Save the 4x12 piece for a later step.

1~ Along the 12" side of your cardstock, score a line 1 3/4" in from the edge of the cardstock.



2~ Turn your paper to the 8" side and score a line 1/2" in on each side.
.


3~ With the paper in the same direction, score a line 5" in from each side. These lines should be 2" apart in the center of cardstock when finished with this step.
.


4~ Turning your paper so it's in the trimmer the 12" way, measure in (with the previous 1 3/4" score to your left) 4 1/4" and cut in 1/2" to the score line on the top and then from the bottom.


5~ Along the top of the cardstock (1 3/4" score line at bottom) measure in with a ruler 2 1/2" and make a tiny pencil mark.


6~ Cut the 1/2" strip off both sides starting at the top down to where you made the 1/2" cut in Step 4. You can do this with your trimmer or a scissors.


7~ Turn paper diagonally in the trimmer lining up the bottom corner of this cut and the pencil mark you made in the trimmer track and score line.


8~ Move paper back 1/2" so score line lines up with 1/2" line on left side of trimmer and cut this triangular piece off.



9~ Now you will take your scissors and cut the remaining cut lines. On the 1 3/4" score line, cut in from both ends to the 1/2" score line. On the bottom, cut in to the 1 3/4" score line on the 2 center lines. Your cardstock should look like this when you are done.



10~ Now take the 4x12 piece that you cut off to start and cut a 2x4 piece off the end of it.
.

11~ Take the 2x4 piece and score a line 1 1/2" in from one end and fold. (Remember the valley when you are scoring is the peak when you are folding)


12~ You should now have 2 pieces that look like this in front of you.

.
13~ Take your adhesive runner and apply adhesive to the diagonal flaps that we created, fold these over and press down. These will just help reinforce the edges.
.
.
14~ Do this to both sides and it should look like this when finished.


15~ Flip your cardstock over and then take your 2x4 piece and adhere it to either 2 1/2"x1/2" flap on the side. This will be the front of your file box. This is how it should look when you are finished doing this.
.

16~ Take your adhesive runner and adhere all the flaps that will fold up to form the box together. Once you have adhered all the flaps together it should look like this.
.

17~ place adhesive on the back flap of the front piece and fold over front of box to close it all up. When you are finished you should have one cute little magazine file box! It should look like this - all ready for you to decorate as you wish!
.
.
Here are 2 examples that I have from a previous post...


.
Thanks for stopping by! Have fun with these! After you make one, you'll be addicted! lol!

38 comments:

Vicki Wizniuk said...

Look at that! Awesome template! There really are two ways to skin a cat! LOL (Just shows that I tend to take the harder route!) I'll have to give your template a try -- it looks really good! TFS

Sandra T. said...

WOW!!! I am going to have to try this. Instructions are awesome!!!
Sandra

Nancy B. aka Jean said...

Mmmm.........Cool!!! What a great idea.

Gwen said...

These are awesome!!! love how you decorated them!! thanks so much for the tutorial!! Your new blogg look is soooooo cool!!!!!

Lisha said...

They look easy enough! :)

Tracy said...

You are the best!!! Thanks SO MUCH for posting this! I'm going to make some today!!!

Kathy said...

Awesome job on the tutorial, Amy! I will try a couple. They sure look better than shoeboxes to hold my cards.

Tina C said...

super cute - lotta work but the finished pieces are AMAZING

Jana said...

Those are really awesome!! I'm going to try it out!! TFS

spangle said...

Thanks! I just made one and it is SO cute! Now I'm going to have to make a bunch!

alohatammi said...

Thank you!@ I love this project. Made one last night and I'm hooked!

sue said...

I have only just found your tutorial for the magazine file. I have had a go, and your right it is addictive. I have adapted your measurements and made my 2nd one bigger, big enough to fit cards upto 6 1/2" wide. Thanks so much for the instructions, they are awesome. Think I'll go and make some more. Hugs Sue x

Mel M. M. McCarthy said...

Just AWEsome. What gorgeous card boxes & the perfect tutorial. I can't wait to make one of these! Thank You!

Stampin n da Hood said...

I'm late but no less sincere…that's the stankin cutest pattern!
Thanks so much for sharing freely!

Astrid Maclean said...

I just found this on Pinterest, great idea and great tutorial, Thanks!!

Amy said...

I found this on Pinterest as well... thanks so much for the tutorial. I'm going to try this. LOVE it!

Debbie L. said...

I found this on pinterest as well and can't wait to make one...your tutorial couldn't be easier to follow.thank you so much!!!

bdswagger said...

Good tutorial except for one thing... they are too flimsy. I make some of these for my mags-Nat. Geo. or Bead and Button or Ceramics Today-and every single one would fall over, fall off and tear in the process. make a template that can be used with sturdier materials and I would joyfully praise your name to the skies.

Shelly Wilson said...

bdswagger-- you do realize this "magazine" holder is for A2 cards right?

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

This is an awesome idea for cards. I have used covered cereal boxes for magazines but this is such a worthwhile project. I don't know how many times I have gone for a card and can't find what I want. Thanks so much for sharing. P.S. I love your blog.

Tina - New Brunswick

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Viv said...

Just saw this on Pinterest,fab idea.Thanks for sharing :O)

Viv said...

Just saw this on Pinterest,fab idea.Thanks for sharing :O)

Lalia said...

I found you via Pinterest. Love your tutorial! I've already made it up this morning and plan to teach it this evening as part of my monthly card class. I love how you use the extra piece of paper to make it wider and better proportioned. Many thanks!

Cheryl Garrett said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I am going to try it! I posted a link to it on my blog as well.

Cheryl
www.pinkandpaper.com

Ashley said...

WOW thanks for the fantastic tutorial!

Estrella Crawford said...

This is a great tutorial. Can't wait to try it ;-)

Έξυπνες Συμβουλές said...

this is a gr8 idea for making them at home, thank you for sharing!!!

Linda G said...

I made your box tonight. Absolutely fabulous. Thank you.

suriyasaravana1881@gmail.com said...


Heya¡­my very first comment on your site. ,I have been reading your blog for a while and thought I would completely pop in and drop a friendly note. . It is great

stuff indeed. I also wanted to ask..is there a way to subscribe to your site via email?














Magazine Holders

Jan Ltc said...

Thank you so much for sharing this fab template. love your finished article xx Jan

vegan4lyfe2012 said...

I needed a card holder for my mom for Christmas. I've been searching the internet for days and have attempted several different holders. None of them worked out the way I wanted...until I found your tutorial on Pinterest! I just made one and it turned out perfect! It's absolutely adorable :) Thanks so much!!!

Terry said...

Found your blog on Pinterest - love this template - so easy to put together. Thank you!!

ljc said...

Hi I'm quite new to papercrafting and thought I would give this a go. Well thanks to your brilliant tutorial it turned out pretty good! I've found a great use for the holder too. Instead of storing cards these are the perfect size for storing 6x4 photos. Can't wait to start the next one!

Helena Wilde said...

Found your blog on Pinterest - I love this template - so easy to put together.Beautyfull magazine holder. Thank you!!

Deborah ShireGardener said...

Found this today on Pinterest. I am making these this afternoon as I'm fed up not being able to find my card blanks and envelopes {which are getting separated from each other too} in my big boxes. These will look good and each will hold one size with envelopes. Thank you so very much!

BSmith-Allen said...

Wanted to make the card file and print the template page for instructions. The template will not print nor show up when you click on the picture. What's up?